The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of part-time Downtown Maintainer working up to 20 hours per week. Duties will include, but are not limited to, manual and motorized snow removal, sanding/salting, manual and motorized sweeping and cleaning at parking facilities and other public facilities, pedestrian areas and sidewalks within the Central Business District.
- Maintenance of City owned and/or leased buildings and facilities.
- Work in accordance with tool and equipment manufacturer’s safety guidelines and as required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Manual and motorized snow removal and sanding/salting at parking facilities, other public facilities, pedestrian areas and sidewalks within the Central Business District.
- Manual and motorized sweeping and cleaning at the parking facilities, other public facilities, pedestrian areas and sidewalks within the Central Business District.
- Carry out or assist with the manufacture, construction, erection and maintenance of all traffic control and parking devices.
- Remove obstacles from the Right of Way that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles and equipment or that are hazardous to employee or the public.
- Keep the Central Business District and all work areas clean and in presentable condition.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a grade 12 diploma and relevant equipment experience. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills.
- Must be neat in appearance and have the ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner.
- Must be a reliable self-starter able to work alone and with supervision.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical activities and the ability to actively participate in daily maintenance activities, working within live traffic conditions and adverse weather conditions.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
Rate of pay:
$17.08 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system; first consideration will be given to those who apply by Monday, December 11, 2017.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.