The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 130,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider working for this beautiful city.
- Assist administration staff with customer service including responding to customer calls/emails, in-person inquiries, and carrying out cart exchanges.
- Correspond with City staff, residents, community partners, businesses and industry contacts on waste minimization and diversion efforts.
- Support promotional & educational campaigns and material development (e.g. curbside education, social media and website content).
- Conduct site visits with businesses/landlords in the downtown core to educate them on proper waste sorting.
- Support various projects to increase waste minimization and diversion efforts in the City (e.g. curbside waste audits, textile diversion).
- Conduct waste industry research and surveys over the internet, telephone and in-person (e.g. food waste research).
- Assist with site tours and community outreach such as school presentations and special event displays.
- Data entry (e.g. multi-residential and cart databases).
- Support work with multi-residential properties such organizing site plan approvals and attending site meetings.
- Assist the Waste Resources Coordinators with marketing and procurement of inbound and outbound material loads.
- Post-secondary education in Environmental Science, Technology or Engineering or closely related field and experience in customer service and performing general administrative duties. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid G or G2 driver’s licence with a good driving record and a minimum of 2 years driving experience.
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job including lifting, stacking and un-stacking wheeled carts.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Ability to understand and interpret relevant environmental legislation, waste industry trends and issues.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to conduct research, organize and prioritize assignments in order to accomplish multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
Work location: Waste Resource Innovation Centre, 110 Dunlop Drive
Rate: $15.35 to $17.69 per hour
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm they have a valid driver’s license held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
How to Apply:
Applications must be received online by January 31, 2018. To apply for this position, please click on the “Apply For This Position” icon.
In order to be considered for this position you must complete all of the steps when creating your profile. This will include a short online screening questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. You will also need to attach both your cover letter and resume saved as one document (PDF format preferred). If you have already created a profile, you may simply login to begin your application.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.