The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Construction Engineering Technologist I within the Engineering and Capital Infrastructure Services Department. Reporting to the Manager, Design and Construction, the Construction Engineering Technologist I will prepare engineering drawings, designs, cost estimates and tender documents with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm.
- Prepare pre-engineering drawings, functional designs, final designs, contract drawings, cost estimates and tender documents under the direction of an engineer ensuring designs meet technical, financial and schedule requirements for municipal sewer, watermain and roadwork projects.
- Assist in the preparation of all regulatory submissions.
- Liaise with internal staff both within the department and with other City departments, external agencies and consultants during the design and construction of projects.
- Attend and participate in project team meetings and coordinate with team members to ensure efficient and timely delivery of project deliverables.
- Monitor and coordinate construction progress and contractor performance, including preparation of progress certificates, negotiation of contractor claims, budget, schedule and safety performance and conducting of site meetings.
- Provide resident inspection services when required.
- Respond to general and specific inquiries regarding projects from various stakeholders, including the general public.
- Use Auto CAD / Civil 3D to: produce detail base plans; create plan and profile drawings including the use of corridors; create alignments and build profiles and cross section sheets; use and update structure libraries as required; prepare quantity take-offs including accurate cut-fill volumes; provide information to survey teams for construction lay-out and prepare presentation materials for public open houses.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above normally acquired through a college diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or closely related field and 3 - 4 years’ experience in municipal design and construction field. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with Auto CAD / Civil3D.
- Must possess a valid G driver’s licence and have a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Must be certified or eligible for certification as an Engineering Technologist by O.A.C.E.T.T.
- Understanding of applicable design standards and general engineering principles.
- Advanced computer skills with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Must have good communication skills, oral and written.
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Customer service skills with the ability to deal with contractors and developers.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check (including vulnerable sector check) would be required at time of offer.
$32.15 - $39.49 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, January 21, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.