The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Supervisor, Accounting Services within the Finance Department. The successful candidate will maintain control of municipal cash receipts, cash disbursements, banking and investing, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Full supervision of Accounts Payable Clerks, Accounts Receivable Clerk, Accounting Analyst and Financial Analyst.
- Uphold the Leadership Charter and the City’s focus on employee engagement through open and transparent communication and staff development.
- Financial Systems Analysis: monitor financial management systems data integrity, security set-up, perform reviews, test, and sign off on computer application updates associated with financial systems.
- Review and recommend further enhancement to the use of the financial systems and position to ensure maximum benefit.
- Responsible for maintaining the internal control structure over the accounts payable, accounts receivable and treasury functions at the City; focus on risk mitigation and strategy for improvements and identification of efficiency opportunities.
- Oversee cash flow forecasting and coordinating investment maturities with anticipated cash outlays and minimizing short-term borrowing needs.
- Ensure security of capital and maximization of investment returns.
- Maintain and control accounts payable activities including verification of source documents, taking advantage of discounts, oversight of the weekly payment run, internal controls over recurring payments and vendor banking information.
- Maintain and control accounts receivable and collection activities including oversight of daily deposits, approval of customer credit, creation of invoices, collection conversations with customers and escalation decisions for uncollectible accounts.
- Maintain and control treasury activities including the allocation of Moneris and other corporate banking fees, debt repayment, direct deposit/withdraw journal entries, and foreign exchange.
- Ensure completion and review of general ledger account and sub ledger reconciliations related to Cash, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Investments.
- Lead monthly corporate general ledger close process adhering to corporate timelines.
- Assist with providing documentation for the annual external audit.
- Responsible for review and approval of the City’s monthly HST filings and all related activities including self-assessment reviews, coordination of annual external review and calculation of commercial activity ITC’s.
- Research and assist in developing or updating policies related to key financial functions including investments, banking, cash management, Council remuneration, procurement, revenue collection and billing and employee expense reimbursements.
- Maintain relationships with key financial service providers including, liaison with bank on software and service issues, liaison with investment brokers on investment account maintenance, liaison with Moneris on corporate accounts for credit/debit collection.
- Lead special projects as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable knowledge and expertise in the duties listed above, normally acquired through a degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or closely related field, enrolment at an intermediate level in a recognized accounting program (CPA - CA, CGA or CMA) and progressive experience in private or governmental accounting in area of specialty, preferably within a medium to large size organization. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated leadership skills acquired through progressive experience supervising, leading and motivating staff, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and financial enterprise systems is required; knowledge and experience working with JDEdwards would be an asset.
- Proven analytical, organizational and communication skills are required, with strong report writing skills.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
$80,189.83 - $100,237.29 per year
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, January 21, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.