The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Seasonal Parks Equipment Operator Integrated Pest Management (IPM) within Parks and Recreation. Reporting to the Supervisor, Turf and Sport Fields, the successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to, performing the cultural practices associated with IPM within the City's parks and open spaces in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, sound turf management principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
HOURS OF WORK:
Five (5) consecutive eight (8) hour days, Monday to Friday scheduled between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. The anticipated start date will be Spring 2018.
- Perform turf maintenance and cultural practices in parks, while working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Operate various types of maintenance equipment such as agricultural tractors, including auxiliary attachments as required, front-end loaders, waste collection vehicles, large mowers and small equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Inform the Lead hand of workplace requirements and adjust maintenance schedules to efficiently perform fertilizer applications and turf renovations, including aeration, over seeding, topdressing, and sodding in accordance with current cultural practices.
- Utilize tools including line trimmers, brush chippers, post pounders, leaf blowers, sod cutters, rakes, shovels etc. to maintain and renovate parks and sports fields.
- Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean, and tidy condition, and perform daily circle checks and report defects and, if necessary, small repairs in a prescribed manner.
- Lead and instruct all support staff in the safe and efficient use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment, and maintenance practices.
- Remove and/or flag obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment, and duly note and report such conditions to a Lead hand or Supervisor.
- Actively participate in a team environment.
- Comply with requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, The Highway Traffic Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Complete daily activity timesheets; report on variances in daily work plans.
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties and damage.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and 6 – 12 months related experience in the operation of parks maintenance equipment in a relevant setting. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Class D-Z driver’s licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Proven experience and knowledge relevant to park/turf maintenance and landscape maintenance/construction activities.
- Excellent knowledge of sports field specific equipment such as Toro Pro core, Over seeders, CR -10 top dresser, Areway aerators, Lely fertilizer spreaders and Bobcat toolcat.
- Thorough knowledge of all maintenance aspects of relevant equipment, including the attachments.
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting within a variety of duties.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimal supervision, as well, work as part of a team, and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly.
- Must possess effective communication skills; able to deal with the public in a cordial manner.
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job including lifting, kneeling and shoveling and be able to actively participate in daily activities, work within live traffic conditions and in all types of weather conditions.
- Must obtain First Aid and CPR C certification prior to start date.
- Must possess an understanding of the OTM Book 7 for Temporary Conditions, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
$26.43 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Tuesday, February 27, 2018. Please submit your resume and cover letter (as one pdf or word document) in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.