The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Water Distribution Operator within the Water Services Division. The successful candidate will work alongside other distribution operators and demonstrate experience in all aspects of Water Distribution Operation and Maintenance in accordance with Water Services policies procedures and operations and in accordance with the requirements of the OIT and or Class regulatory certification. The successful candidate will provide operational and technical support to the Supervisors, Lead Hands, Technicians and other Water Services staff as required. The successful candidate will work both individually and with crews and where applicable will share their technical expertise in the areas of distribution activities in a peer to peer environment. In conjunction and cooperation with the other operators and guidance of the Lead Hands, the successful candidate will undertake works assigned by the Distribution Supervisors while ensuring that both compliance and Health and Safety objectives are met. The successful candidate will have a focus on team building, quality customer service and continuous improvement. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
HOURS OF WORK:
Any five consecutive shifts; Monday through Friday 7:00 am – 5:00 pm. Stand by and shifts are a requirement of this position (minimum 30 minute response time required). Waterworks Operators for certain times of the year could be assigned to swabbing and flushing and work any four (4) consecutive ten (10) hour shifts between 7:00 pm and 7:00 am. Water Services is a 24hr operation throughout the year the successful candidate will be expected to regularly participate in both scheduled and unscheduled after- hours work.
- Installs, repairs and maintains any and all portions of the City’s Water Distribution System and appurtenances, as required including the maintenance and repair all equipment in Waterworks Division operation.
- Operates the distribution system in accordance with the policies, practices and procedures of the City and Water Services and also in accordance with the requirements of their current level of certification.
- Communicate items of interest or concern to the Lead Hands or Supervisors for discussion and/or resolution.
- Responds to water distribution calls and provides advice to customers in a cordial and professional manner.
- Perform all manual and technical tasks assigned and assist in equipment operation as required.
- Record and document works both in logs and electronically as required using provided devices such as phones and tablets or logs
- Safely operate and perform routine daily maintenance and minor repairs to assigned equipment as required by the Operator Manual.
- Complete daily activity card(s) and other related documentation.
- Responsible for and complying with health and safety in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures as well as regulations of the Ministry of the Environment and others as required.
- Completes and maintains all daily legislative and non-legislative records as they pertain to the Distribution system and Health and Safety.
- Support investigations of low/high pressure complaints, meter and billing issues, leaks, dirty water complaints, trench problems and other similar events.
- Participates in all assigned training and other distribution initiatives
- Responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned including but not limited to coverage of other operator and/or lead hand duties (as appropriate) or any other Water Services initiative.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 2 years post-secondary education in engineering, environmental science or an operationally related discipline and 6-12 months experience in water or working with equipment and performing maintenance related duties. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must have in your possession Operator in Training license for Water Distribution & Supply Subsystem.
- Must possess a valid ‘DZ’ drivers licence and have a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of water distribution operations and legislative requirements as they pertain to a Drinking Water system.
- Knowledge of WHMIS and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Knowledge of the Highway Traffic act and safe operation of vehicles under the same
- Able to perform physical requirements of position (e.g. lift objects of 25 kg, work in confined spaces and in all types of weather conditions) including after hours works.
- Must be a team player with good interpersonal skills with the ability to work both individually and as part of a crew.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel).
- Ability to keep accurate records.
- Must be neat in appearance and have the ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner.
- Ability to use small tools and equipment.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check would be required at time of offer.
RATE OF PAY:
$27.86 per hour (OIT: Grade 4)
$29.24 per hour (Level 1: Grade 5)
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, March 25, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.