The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the part time Program Coordinator, Events and Tourism position within the Culture, Tourism and Community Investment division. Reporting to the Manager of Culture and Tourism, the Program Coordinator, Events and Tourism will prepare, coordinate and run all logistics for public events at Market Square, offer support to special event clients at City Hall and support all tourism initiatives.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work
Up to 20 hours per week, including evenings and weekends.
- Coordinate event logistics for special events at Market Square, including coordinating event schedules, submitting permits or applications, administrating contracts, ordering supplies, booking vendors, providing details to facility staff, artists and volunteers etc.
- Provide on-site management for events, coordinating set up and take down, working with facility staff, solving problems, resolving changes, meeting artists, providing customer service to patrons etc.
- Provide event management for Civic Events, including, purchasing supplies, execute artist contracts, requesting artist fees, hold on site meetings, sharing information internally etc.
- Provide event coordination support for public special events at City Hall, with a focus on Culture and Tourism events.
- Work directly with clients to develop their event by offering event leadership, suggestions and manage event details to ensure regulation compliance (i.e. ESA, fire code), conduct meetings in advance of events as needed.
- Recruit and coordinate special event Volunteers and provide supervision of Volunteers during special events.
- Create a working relationship with downtown businesses for engagement and awareness of special events.
- Prepare and track events budgets and provide post event reporting.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations and legislation, like fire code and electrical safety, while planning and during events.
- Create and share events calendar, coordinate with web services for accurate public details
- Provide administrative support to Culture and Tourism team as needed including distribution of promotional materials and posters
- Provide support at tourism activations at sporting events, conferences or festivals in the community
- Other duties as assigned
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, with at least two years’ experience in development and coordination of special events
- Experience leading and liaising with events staff, volunteers, and production teams during special events.
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a team.
- Advance skills in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Knowledge of the Fire Code, Building Code, Electrical Safety, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other related legislation
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to deal with large numbers of people and remain calm even under the most difficult of circumstances
- Strong organization skills with the ability to manage events in fast paced customer service environment and be readily acceptable to change work priorities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public
- Ability to do light lifting of merchandising and event supplies
$19.06- $20.42 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Tuesday, April 24, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.