The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
This position is responsible for monitoring and managing environmental legislative compliance initiatives and overseeing the development of an Integrated Management System within Solid Waste Resources. As a member of the management team, the candidate will have a focus on demonstrated leadership skills, quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Reporting to the Manager of Integrated Services, and guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will enhance service delivery while aiding in the achievement of the community vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Regulatory Compliance Program Functions
- Defines, monitors and reviews Division’s compliance criteria and processes in accordance with assigned compliance programs and applicable provincial and federal legislation.
- Develops, implements and investigates process and systems to control, track and maintain legal requirements and approvals, as outlined in the relevant legal documentation governing the operations of the Division’s waste management facilities, and ensuring compatibility and integration with corporate strategies.
- Provides advice and technical support to Division managers and supervisors on issues to ensure that compliance requirements are being met.
- Provides training for staff and contractors on site policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains up-to-date and thorough knowledge of applicable legislation, standards, guidelines and policies.
- Develops and implements standard operating and emergency procedures for waste management operations and standard reporting procedures in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Interfaces with regulatory agencies to obtain environmental certificates of approvals, related amendments and other required legal instruments.
- Liaises and/or negotiates with regulatory officials during compliance related meetings and facility inspections.
- Audits and investigates for regulatory compliance and reports all non-compliance to the Division Manager, and upon direction, to the appropriate regulator; designs and develops corrective action strategies, solutions and action plans to address compliance issues and related actions.
- Develops, reviews and submits reports to appropriate regulators ensuring regulatory deadlines are met and reports are in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Develops and monitors capital and operating budget required to support compliance requirements.
Quality and Environmental Management Systems Program Functions
- Administers the Integrated Management System (IMS), including the Environmental Management System, Quality Management System, and other relevant management system standards.
- Designs and implements audit programs for the IMS, and regulatory environmental compliance programs.
- Oversees documentation and updates to policies, standard operating and emergency procedures, and work instructions.
- Prepares and delivers training to staff on the IMS and related programs.
- Manages consultants on IMS related projects to ensure deliverables are met.
- Establishes objectives, targets, management programs and KPI’s to foster continuous improvement and provides technical support to staff regarding IMS programs.
Data and Reporting Functions
- Prepares reports, compiles and analyses statistical data on compliance and management system related activities, including audits, objectives and targets to support Divisional priorities and goal setting.
- Establishes processes to ensure appropriate data capture, analysis, documentation and reporting in formalized frameworks to meet Provincial and Federal requirements.
- Consolidates, analyses, and summarizes compliance data and inspection reports.
- Interfaces with internal clients and responds to concerns and information requests regarding compliance to waste management and conformance to IMS and bring them forward to the attention of management.
- Monitors and ensures referral, escalation and follow-up procedures are being applied correctly and effectively for excellent customer service and supporting continuous improvement.
- Responsible for writing reports and memos for customers, staff, management, and Council.
- Participates in divisional afternoon and Saturday supervisor and on-call roster on a rotating basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Degree or Diploma in Environmental Law, Environmental Science or a related discipline and considerable experience in managing environmental and regulatory requirements and programs. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirement.
- Excellent negotiation and problem solving skills with the, ability to interface effectively with internal management and operations staff, consultants, Provincial Approval and Legislative Agencies, contractors, suppliers, peers, and the general public.
- Knowledge of the Acts and Regulations as well as the policies and procedures of the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change.
- Knowledge of solid waste industry related regulations, legislation, guidelines, standards, procedures, inspections, as they relate to operations of a waste management operation and closed landfill.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ability to interpret and translate legislation into recommendations related to operations, management, planning, and organizational development.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Knowledge and experience in development and maintaining quality and environmental management system standards.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, the media and the general public.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to respond effectively to regulatory and customer issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and team building skills.
- Ability to develop and deliver training programs.
- ISO / QMS Auditor Certificates would be an asset.
Rate: $80,189.83-$100,237.29 per year
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, June 3, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.