The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Project Engineer within the Engineering and Capital Infrastructure Services Department. Reporting to the Manager, Design and Construction, this position will be responsible for the design and project management of a wide range of municipal capital projects, including road, bridge, sewer and watermain construction to implement the Engineering and Capital Infrastructure Services capital construction program. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Evening or weekend work will be required to attend meetings or respond to urgent issues.
- Completes detailed design for capital projects of roads, sewers, watermains and any other related work including design calculations.
- Schedules and oversees projects to ensure efficient and cost effective delivery of capital projects.
- Co-ordinates, directs and manages staff resources in the delivery of projects.
- Performs contract administration including preparation of contract tender documents.
- Co-ordinates project accounting including processing of payment certificates and invoices.
- Manages consultants retained to provide engineering services to the City of Guelph.
- Communicates and engages with stakeholders and public during the design and construction and study processes.
- Liaise and negotiate with consultants, contractors and developers on engineering and related matters relative to contracts, agreements and standards, and maintains continued contact with the industry regarding standards and specifications for municipal construction.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual capital and operating budgets and monitor current project budget variance.
- Prepare reports and presentations on design and construction issues for Council, Community representatives and partners.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and provincial regulations/legislation and City by-laws.
- Participate on technical committees in the development of policy, review of practices for municipal construction.
- Maintain professional knowledge in applicable areas and keep abreast of changes in job-related rules, statutes, laws and new business trends; recommend the implementation of changes; read and interpret professional literature; attend training programs, workshops and seminars as appropriate.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other civic employees and public using principles of good customer service.
- Act as a technical resource to other departments and develop collaborative partnerships with agencies, utilities, adjacent municipalities, residents, property owners, consultants, developers and contractors on matters relating to the Infrastructure Services division
- Evaluate contractor and consultant performance on capital projects.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a University Degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field and considerable project management experience in municipal design and construction. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with the Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- Must possess a valid Class “G” driver’s licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, guidelines, standards and specifications as it relates to municipal design and construction.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to prepare presentations on energy savings and present to staff.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to engage staff and work in a team environment.
- Able to manage multiple and changing demands and priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Experience with software applications such as AutoCAD and/or Civil 3D would be an asset.
$88,220.1-$110,275.14 per year
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, June 24, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.