The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Water SCADA Specialist is responsible for providing technical expertise and project coordination to Water Services on projects, updates and maintenance on SCADA and security matters. This position will support the development, updating and implementation of Water Services’ SCADA standards, procedures and policies. This position will assist with technical troubleshooting, physical and cyber security measures, development of SCADA and security data based reports, and provision of reporting tools to staff where appropriate. Reporting to the Manager of Operations, Water Services, this position will work closely with the existing Water SCADA and Security Specialist, supporting Water Services Supply Operations & Maintenance, Water Services Distribution, and Water Services Technical Services as well as other departments as needed. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will support operational improvements and continual improvement of security of the City’s critical water system infrastructure while aiding in the achievement of the community vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Analyze and troubleshoot operating software, hardware and communications malfunctions to determine problems and take appropriate corrective action.
- Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of the SCADA system disaster recovery plan, development of policies, levels of service and operating procedures.
- Assist with coordination of the facility security program, develop and implement operational warnings and alarms based on Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MOECP) regulatory requirements and discussions with water staff.
- Maintain, upgrade and update SCADA graphic displays, historical data, tag name standards, and real-time data and control databases and displays. Review and improve standards on a regular basis and establish standards where they do not yet exist in consultation with relevant staff and management.
- Assist with developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) related to SCADA and security for staff in consultation with key staff and management.
- Assist with preparing and updating the preventative maintenance and replacement program for all SCADA and security assets including hardware and software.
- Perform checks and preventative maintenance where appropriate on SCADA servers, virtual server environments, network equipment, network security, and communications.
- Develop daily, weekly, monthly, and annual reports for Operational, Corporate, and MOECP needs as regulated or requested by various personnel and develop and maintain SCADA manuals for all components within the SCADA-HMI-LAN environment.
- Maintain, update and configure SCADA system computers, file servers, SCADA Internal Ethernet network and switches and drawings for all water facilities with SCADA systems.
- Assist with the procurement of major services, materials, supplies, and equipment, develops and supports service agreements and contracts, develops and awards Tenders, RFP’s, RFQ’s and manages increases in scope to existing projects.
- Assist with developing formal project documents including Project Charters, Schedules, Risk Registers, and Business Cases, amongst others, and ensures project management vigour consistent with protocols of the City’s Project Management Office and PMI.
- Support continuous improvement at Water Services through SCADA and security systems and support DWQMS in this process.
- Support Water Supply staff in meeting Guelph Water’s commitments to MOECP data reporting.
- Supports SCADA programming and communications for distribution system District Metered Areas (DMAs) and develops reports and performance dashboards to analyze system water loss and related performance indicators.
- Support asset management programs in the areas of SCADA and security in coordination with Water Supply Maintenance and other appropriate staff.
- Liaise with Supervisors, external consultants, city staff, and contractors to review new or modified programming for various related processes.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or a related discipline and considerable experience in SCADA programming and maintenance for Water Utilities. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of industrial computer hardware (i.e., PLCs) and software applications, computer languages, programming, process control, automation processes, development tools and data communications systems.
- Knowledge of computer networking, security applications and operating systems, including Windows XP, Windows 7 & 8 & 10,Windows Server, and Cisco IOS.
- Familiarity with security systems in Water utility systems using SCADA principles.
- Familiar with network administration, routing, firewalls, DMZs, network and cyber security measures.
- Understanding of real time process control applications such as: GE Proficy iFIX, Win911, Visual Basic, GE Proficy iFix Historian, ClearSCADA, Ladder logic programming (RSLogix 500, RSLogix 5000).
- Knowledge of published industry SCADA standards and related technical reports, including ISA5.1, ISA18.2/IEC62682, ISA-95/IEC62264, ISA101, and ISA/IEC62443.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills, including an ability to analyze, diagnose, and resolve system hardware and software problems.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate technical details (eg. events, root cause analysis) with all levels of staff, stakeholders and consultants.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Eng., C.E.T., and/or ISA CAP (Certified Automation Professional) designation is considered an asset.
$40.06-$50.07 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, July 29, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.