The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Quality Assurance/Quality Control Coordinator position with the Wastewater Services Division. The successful candidate will have a focus on quality management system (QMS) for the laboratory and quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. This position reports to the Supervisor of Laboratory Services & Environmental Compliance. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Maintains the laboratory Quality Management System (QMS) to ensure that the requirements of formal laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025 are met.
- Update the laboratory quality manual to ensure that the laboratory quality policies and objectives are clearly defined and that relevancy is maintained.
- Coordinate the preparation of technical documentation of test method procedures; this includes method validation/verification documentation.
- Conduct the laboratory internal audit program to ensure that the Quality Management System’s polices, practices and analytical test methods are documented and conducted in accordance with accreditation requirements.
- Lead the Quality Assurance/Quality Control and Continual Improvement programs for the laboratory. This includes ensuring proper QA/QC protocols are in place and followed. It also includes identifying and investigating quality system non-conformances, potential non-conformances and opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure required instrumentation in the laboratory is calibrated and proper checks are done to ensure continued accuracy according to accreditation requirements.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of various laboratory national and international standards and laboratory best practices to ensure laboratory practices are current and relevant.
- Evaluates the quality of chemical tests in accordance with defined quality assurance / quality control protocols.
- Documents, implements and reviews all areas of the laboratory’s practices to ensure that chemical tests are being performed with a high level of confidence.
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of various national and international standards used to evaluate the competency of analytical laboratories.
- Maintains a chain of custody protocol to ensure that sample integrity is maintained
- Maintains preventative and corrective action plans for chemical test procedures.
- Ensures that all laboratory equipment and instruments are functioning as required by implementing various quality assurance/quality control checks.
- Act as the laboratory liaison with the accreditation body for accreditation assessments.
- Perform laboratory testing as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion a diploma in Environmental Science, Chemical or Environmental Engineering and 4 years’ experience in a laboratory environment. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge and experience with QA/QC principles and practices and statistical techniques.
- Knowledge of the requirements of the ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO 9000 standard
- Ability to build strong and enthusiastic work relationships and internal/external alliances and partnerships.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff and stakeholders.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Outlook) and Laboratory Information Management System Software.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and confined space entry.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to analyze problems and find solutions.
- Internal auditor certification for the QMS systems or ability to obtain.
- Experience in an accredited laboratory environment would be an asset.
- Experience validating laboratory test methods would be an asset
$32.66-$40.12 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, August 19, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.