The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for temporary Seasonal Winter Control Operators within the Operations Department. The successful candidate will perform road winter control maintenance activities and have a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes.
Hours of work
40 hours per week. Rotating shifts and standby are a requirement of this position. This is a temporary position for approximately 4 months during the winter control season.
- Perform duties in the development, maintenance and operation of the Operations Department related to winter road maintenance.
- Operate a tandem dump truck in a safe and courteous manner.
- Perform various duties relating to winter control of roadways including operating a tandem truck with computerized material applicator, plow and wing and or other relevant road maintenance equipment, manual snow and ice clearing equipment and manual salting and sanding equipment.
- Comply with all applicable regulations and requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Remove obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment.
- Complete daily activity time sheets including reporting/recording of materials used and work completed, inspection and reporting forms.
- Report on variances in daily work plans.
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, damage and hazardous conditions.
- Actively participate in a team environment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a grade 12 education and 1 year experience operating DZ vehicles and other relevant heavy equipment in a safe and efficient manner in live traffic and in winter driving conditions (preferably for winter control purposes). Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience related to the duties listed above which includes five (5) months of Plow and Wing experience on a D-Z Class vehicle.
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of tools and equipment relevant to winter control and roadway maintenance activities.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimum supervision.
- Must possess good communication skills and have the ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical activities including but not limited to lifting, digging, and shovelling and be able to actively participate in daily activities, working within live traffic conditions and adverse weather conditions.
- Basic understanding of and experience with computers.
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Highway Traffic Act.
$$26.43 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application. Please note preference will be given to candidates applying by November 30, 2018, after which applications will be reviewed need basis.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.