The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for a casual Security Guard position. The successful candidate will be reporting to the Program Manager, Corporate Security and will be assigned security duties with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work
Up to 20 hours per week. Work schedule will be based on availability of extra work and will require shift work and work on weekends and statutory holidays.
- Provide security services to City owned and/or operated properties through the operation of various security systems and patrolling; including responding and effectively handling emergency and non-emergency, security and law enforcement calls, while maintaining the utmost confidentiality at all times.
- Respond to all security needs and calls for services; secure areas of facility for escalated emergency response, if necessary.
- Observe, investigate, and act on possible breaches of security, criminal code violations, fire and safety hazards, illegal entry, theft, and malfunction or interruption of utilities, machinery or equipment.
- Respond to public inquiries and represents the City of Guelph Operations, Bylaw Compliance Security & Licensing by promoting security services that contribute positively to the results of the division, and corporate vision.
- Greet all visitors in a welcoming and friendly manner and provide excellent customer service to all patrons and employees.
- Maintain a secure environment by conducting regular inspections of assigned and deployed positions; ensuring the safety of all staff and visitors at all times.
- Prepare reports; ensuring accuracy of reported data and proper report presentation.
- Familiarity with the City of Guelph and local attractions.
- Act as ambassador for the City of Guelph.
- Assist visitors with special needs/ requests that require additional services.
- Adhere to all City of Guelph service standards and policies, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Perform any additional tasks as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of Grade 12, plus an Ontario Basic Security License, and one (1) to three (3) months experience in security work. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a Class G licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Experience or training in providing security services in a customer service oriented manner.
- Experience providing facility security including the use of security systems and key systems.
- Knowledge of Trespass to Property Act.
- Possess interpersonal and customer service skills, including conflict resolution, problem solving, decision-making and situational assessment.
- Verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respond to staff and public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Demonstrated experience working with a computer and the ability to utilize a variety of software is an asset.
- Ability to operate and monitor computerized security equipment is an asset.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and work with enthusiasm and professionalism at all times.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the job that includes walking, sitting and standing for extended periods.
- As a condition of offer, the applicant will undergo screening to ensure that they are capable of meeting the physical requirements of the position. Screenings are directly related to the physical demands of the position and will include (but are not limited to) functional capacity evaluation, audiometric and vision screening.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check (including vulnerable sector screening) would be required at time of offer.
$$17.14 - $21.04 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. First preference will be given to the candidates applying by Monday, September 17, 2018. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.