The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Ability to assume ORO responsibilities for a MOE Class 4 Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Plan, administer, delegate, supervise and direct the daily work of Wastewater Treatment Operators.
- Supports the development and implementation of policies, guidelines and standard operating procedures to ensure all work practices comply with applicable legislation, regulations and City of Guelph’s health and safety policies as well as other policies and procedures.
- Support the operational plan through a comprehensive operational preventative maintenance program for the Wastewater Treatment Plant to support divisional operations and industry best practices.
- Provide visible and positive leadership to the Wastewater Treatment team that is consistent with the commitments of the City’s Leadership Charter, developing and nurturing a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff.
- Support internal benchmarking and continuous improvement initiatives
- Ensures all compliance, preventative maintenance and operational activities are scheduled, completed, recorded and fully documented.
- Monitor operating expenditures and assists with the development of annual capital and operating budgets.
- Works closely with peers across the division (i.e. Supervisor of Wastewater Collection, Supervisor of EPO and Laboratory Services, and Supervisor of Maintenance) to ensure continuity and execution of work plans.
- Review, develop and refine, SOP’s, SOG’s and work methods for wastewater treatment operators.
- Responsible for the development, coordination and scheduling of work plans and risk assessments
- Leads in the coordination of projects related to process control.
- Monitors, interprets and communicates process control data as it relates to the facilities Environmental Compliance Approval and other regulatory requirements.
- Implement quality customer service initiatives and respond to internal and external customer complaints and requests for information.
- Support the coordination of facility tours and co sample and data requests.
- Responsible for writing reports as required including monthly compliance and technical reports.
- Support colleagues in the preparation of compliance, memorandums for customers, staff, management, including technical specifications, and work instructions.
- Review and provide input on current and future resource requirements.
- Ensure compliance with the City’s purchasing by-law.
- Represent the department in a professional manner with internal and external contacts.
- Comply with all applicable Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ensure adequate coverage to maintain service delivery at all times
- Participate in Wastewater Services Management on-call rotation.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a post secondary degree or diploma in Environmental Science, Civil Engineering Technology or related field, and a considerable experience in the operation of a Wastewater Treatment Facility, preferably in a municipal environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a valid MOE Class 4 Wastewater Treatment Facility License or ability to obtain within 15 months of start date
- Experience supervising staff or leading work teams, preferably in a unionized environment.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract and CVOR (if applicable) prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of budget preparation processes and control.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation and specifications.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple and changing demands and priorities.
- Excellent communication skills, strong negotiating and public relations skills are essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Power Point).
- Ability to monitor the operational preventative maintenance program using CMMS and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) to effectively monitor the process.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check would be required at time of offer.
$72,911.82 - $91,139.77
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, November 4, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.