The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Loader Operator within the Operations Department. Reporting to the Supervisor, Public Works, the successful candidate will operate a loader with various attachments in live traffic. The operator will also perform relevant road maintenance activities and winter control with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Principal duties include the operation of a front end loader in live traffic and construction sites for road maintenance activities in a safe, efficient manner with minimal disruption to traffic.
- Use of front end loader with broom, blower or other attachments in live traffic.
- Ability to safely operate a front end loader with wing plow attachment maintaining public safety in the delivery of winter control service to the community.
- Perform other various duties relating to winter control of roadways including operating a combination tandem truck with plow and wing and other relevant machinery; manual snow and ice clearing and manual salting and sanding equipment and sidewalk winter control as needed.
- Perform other related duties in the execution of maintenance activities related to right of way maintenance and winter control such as labourer duties, street sweeping, gravel maintenance, asphalt repairs and traffic control set-up.
- Comply with all applicable regulations and requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations including corporate, departmental and divisional, policies and procedures.
- Remove obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment.
- Accurate and timely completion of daily activity time sheets including reporting of materials used and work completed, inspection and reporting forms.
- Accurate and timely completion of vehicle and equipment checks as outlined in the fleet policies.
- Report on variances in daily work plans.
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, damage and hazardous conditions.
- Actively participate in a team environment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Grade 12 education is required.
- Experience related to the duties listed above which includes one (1) year relevant experience operating front end-loaders and D-Z vehicles in a safe and efficient manner in live traffic and in winter driving conditions. Perform work related to roadway asphalt removal, excavation, asphalt paving, road maintenance activities, and winter control operations. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience related to the duties listed above which includes five (5) months of Plow and Wing experience on a D-Z Class vehicle.
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of tools, equipment and procedures relevant to asphalt maintenance activities.
- Experience in material control including tracking and documentation of inventory.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimum supervision.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Have the ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner and work well in a team environment.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical activities including lifting, digging, shoveling, raking and climbing ladders and be able to actively participate in daily activities, working within live traffic conditions and severe weather conditions.
- Basic understanding of and experience with computers and work order systems.
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Highway Traffic Act.
- Working knowledge of Ontario Traffic Manual (Book 7).
$26.43 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday October 22, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.