Resumes are being accepted for the positions of Primary Care Paramedics (Part Time) within the Guelph- Wellington Emergency Medical Service. The successful candidate(s) will provide emergency medical aid and patient transport with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Shift work will be a requirement of this position.
- No guarantee of hours of work. Employees provide availability as per the Collective Agreement. Shifts assigned on a scheduled and call-in availability basis.
- Part-time paramedics shall be available to be scheduled a minimum of six (6) days (all shifts, including two (2) weekend days, either Saturday or Sunday), in a calendar month. Part-time paramedics shall be available for work as required and assigned, on a rotational basis by the employer on Christmas Holiday (including December 24th, 25th and 26th) or New Year’s Holiday (including December 31st and January 1st), unless excused by the employer.
- Locations of work include: either of 3 City Stations within Guelph, or any of 7 County Stations Mount Forest, Arthur, Harriston, Fergus, Rockwood, Drayton and Hillsburgh (dependent upon collective bargaining unit assignment).
- Function as part of a team providing Basic Life Support including medical evaluation, treatment and stabilization of the critically ill and injured in accordance with the Basic Life Support Patient Care Standards and the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research Hamilton Health Sciences standards, policies and procedures
- Respond to emergency rescue situations involving potential loss of life or bodily injury; maintains control, manages and directs patient care at the scene of a pre-hospital emergency
- Respond to and manage the care and safe transportation of non-critical and elective patients
- Transport patients to appropriate facilities and as directed by CACC communications officers
- Perform inspections of emergency vehicles, and all related equipment at the commencement of each shift and after every patient carried call to ensure equipment is fully functional, supplies are clean and well stocked, and patient compartment is cleaned as required
- Maintain general vehicle and station cleanliness
- Perform other related duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS TO BE A PRIMARY CARE PARAMEDIC:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Must be licensed to drive an ambulance (Class F or equivalent) with a good driving record. Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Have maintained, during the two years immediately prior to the date he or she commenced employment, and have continued to maintain during his or her employment, a valid driver’s licence under the Highway Traffic Act;
- Current CPR level C certification (must be issued within last 12 months from date of hire)
- *MOHLTC Mandatory Core Training
- Completion of Ambulance and Emergency Care – College Certificate program or letter of equivalency
- *MOHLTC (A) EMCA or within 210 days of graduation
- Must successfully complete the Base Hospital Certification Schedule 1 minimum within 30 days in the position
- Must not have been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude for which the person has not been pardoned (current satisfactory police/criminal record check including Vulnerable Sector Screening Search must be provided at time of hire)
- Good map reading abilities and continued efforts towards enhancing local geographic knowledge.
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language fluently
Mandatory Immunization Records demonstrating compliance to the Ambulance Act Section (257)
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza vaccine or *MOHLTC equivalent documentation (or have proof of immunity or medical contraindication for vaccinations)
- Health status questionnaire ‘Free from Communicable Disease
- Must provide current certification of Physical Agility Evaluation (PAE) through Ability Works Consulting Inc or Physical Agility Assessment (PAA) from Sibley & Associates prior to time of hire. For the purposes of our recruitment, the PAE/PAA is considered to be current within 6 months of hire date. Expense of this assessment is covered by the applicant. For more information or to book a time, please visit their websites at www.awci.ca or www.sibley.ca
- Paramedics who have obtained their training outside of Ontario can apply for equivalency with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. Information on the equivalency process can be obtained by visiting the MOHLTC web site.
* refers to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
We actively seek candidates who possess skills and education that are over and above our minimum qualifications such as relevant volunteer and/or work experience within the healthcare services and relevant professional development courses/training. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a team environment are also very important. Candidates should have excellent navigational skills with the ability to read and interpret maps.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend a mandatory technical test scheduled for January 16, 2019. Further information will be sent to selected candidates through the email address provided at time of application.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by December 15, 2018. Please note, all applicants must complete the online questionnaire of 8 questions specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
Please check our website specific to our paramedic recruitment to learn about our recruitment process and important testing dates/details.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.