The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the Recreation Coordinator - Programs, the successful candidate will facilitate the summer camp program. The Recreation Division is seeking a Summer Camp Program Facilitator who has direct experience working with children, youth and staff in a camp program setting.
Hours of work
This is a seasonal position, starting Monday May 6, 2019 to Friday August 30. Full time hours (40-42 hours) applies to daytime weekly programs (Mon-Fri). Occasional shifts required on Saturdays for training.
Mandatory training dates are listed below.
- May 29 - 4:30pm- 9:00pm
- May 30 - 4:30pm-9:00pm
- June 1 - 9:00am-4:00pm
- June 5 - 4:30pm-9:00pm
- June 6 - 4:30pm-9:00pm
- June 8 - 9:00am-4:00pm
- June 28 - 9:00am-12:00pm
- 3.0 hours online training
- Maintain consistency in the delivery and administration of the summer camp program
- Take a lead role in the coordination of placements, supervision and evaluation of summer camp team leaders and counsellors
- In cooperation with the Recreation Coordinators and the Camp Volunteer & Inclusion Facilitator, assist with staff recruitment, training, team publications and events
- Take a lead role in coordinating all camp specific training and orientation sessions and support other city mandated trainings for summer camp staff. Provide staff mid-summer training and additional training when identified issues occur (i.e. program planning, safety, skills-training)
- Provide ongoing support to the entire camp team, act as a resource person and leader
- Visit each site regularly and be available to support each site through problem-solving, when needed.
- Act as a role model by leading activities and games weekly
- Provide evaluation and support for the camp team through mid and end of summer written and verbal evaluations
- Act as a resource for program planning, execution and evaluation of summer camp programming
- Maintain open lines of communication with parents, colleagues and participants.
- Pursuing a degree/diploma in Recreation & Leisure Studies, Child Development, Education or related field.
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification (or willing to obtain prior to start date)
- A valid Standard First Aid & CPR C certification (or willing to obtain prior to start date)
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer
- A valid driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle is required.
- Ability to provide a clear driver’s abstract
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- Full availability is required for the full summer (May-August)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a camp environment with supervisory experience. Preference will be given to those with City of Guelph camp experience
$16.50 per hour (2018 rate)
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday, January 7, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.