The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Programming and Community Development Department is seeking dynamic, responsible individuals to coordinate and deliver physical activity programming for children in community parks.
Hours of work
16-24 hours per week. Evening and weekend work will be required
- Deliver dynamic and creative physical activity programming for children in local parks.
- Provide on-site supervision and leadership to participants and support fellow program staff at Park Programming session.
- Take a lead role in the development and implementation of weekly activities and events.
- Assist in the advertising/promoting of Park Activation activities and programs.
- Act as a resource and advocate for participating children and parents.
- Responsible for the health and safety of participants, volunteers and staff.
- Responsible for R-Zone program compliance.
- Complete various administrative duties (progress reports, incident reports, statistics, program evaluation)
- Ensure that City Parks and Programming and Community Development Program Guidelines and Procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and kept in an acceptable, safe condition.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of special events, when required.
- Obtained or pursuing a degree/diploma in Recreation & Leisure Services, Social Services, Child Development or related field
- Previous experience working with children 4-12.
- Previous experience in program planning, development and implementation for this age group.
- A valid Standard First Aid/CPR Certificate (or willing to obtain upon hiring).
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication (both written and verbal skills) and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent Conflict Resolution Skills with the ability to identify and resolve conflicts before they escalate
- High 5 Principles of Healthy Childhood Development Certification an asset
- A satisfactory police record, including vulnerable sector check, is required at the time of offer
$15.85 per hour (2018 rate)
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday, January 21, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.