The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Primary Care Paramedic (Part Time) within the Guelph-Wellington Paramedic Service. The successful candidate(s) will provide emergency medical aid and patient transport with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes.
Hours of work
- Shift work will be a requirement of this position.
- No guarantee of hours of work. Employees provide availability as per the Collective Agreement and shifts are assigned on a scheduled and call-in availability basis.
- Part-time paramedics shall be available to be scheduled a minimum of seven (7) days (all shifts, including two (2) weekend days, either Saturday or Sunday), in a calendar month.
- Part-time paramedics shall be available for work as required and assigned, on a rotational basis by the employer over the Christmas Holiday (including December 24th, 25th and 26th) or New Year’s Holiday (including December 31st and January 1st), unless excused by the employer.
- Locations of work include: either of 2 City Stations within Guelph, or any of 7 County Stations: Mount Forest, Arthur, Harriston, Fergus, Rockwood, Drayton and Hillsburgh.
- Function as part of a team providing Basic Life Support including medical evaluation, treatment and stabilization of the critically ill and injured in accordance with the Basic Life Support Patient Care Standards and the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research Hamilton Health Sciences standards, and related policies and procedures.
- Respond to emergency rescue situations involving potential loss of life or bodily injury; maintains control, manages and directs patient care at the scene of a pre-hospital emergency.
- Respond to and manage the care and safe transportation of non-critical and elective patients.
- Transport patients to appropriate facilities and as directed by CACC communications officers.
- Perform inspections of emergency vehicles, and all related equipment at the commencement of each shift and after every patient carried call to ensure equipment is fully functional, supplies are clean and well stocked, and patient compartment is cleaned as required.
- Maintain general vehicle and station cleanliness
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID19 with proof of vaccination.
- Must be licensed to drive an ambulance (Class F or equivalent) with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Have maintained, during the two years immediately prior to the date of hire, and have continued to maintain during employment, a valid driver’s license under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA).
- Current CPR level C or BLS certification (must be issued within last 12 months from date of hire).
- MOHLTC, (Ministry of Health and Long Term Care), Mandatory Core Training
- Completion of Ambulance and Emergency Care – College Diploma program or letter of equivalency.
- Completion of a recognized Paramedic – College Diploma program or letter of equivalency.
- Completion of MOHLTC, (Ministry of Health and Long Term Care), (A) EMCA, Emergency Medical Care Attendant, or within 210 days of graduation.
- Must successfully complete the Base Hospital Certification Schedule 1, minimum within 30 days in the position.
- Must not have been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude for which the person has not been pardoned (current satisfactory police/criminal record check including Vulnerable Sector Screening Search must be provided at time of hire)
- Good map reading abilities and continued efforts towards enhancing local geographic knowledge.
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language fluently
- Mandatory Immunization Records demonstrating compliance to the Ambulance Act Section (257) Table: 1
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza vaccine or *MOHLTC, (Ministry of Health and Long Term Care)
- Equivalent documentation (or have proof of immunity or medical contraindication for vaccinations)
- Satisfactory completion of the Health status questionnaire “Free from Communicable Disease”
- Must complete the Casper Assessment through https://takealtus.com/casper/ and release those results to the Guelph-Wellington Paramedic Service. Expense of this assessment is to be covered by the applicant. Upcoming Casper Assessment dates: Tuesday November 23, 2021 at 5pm and
Thursday December 9, 2021 at 5pm (Cost of processing the assessment for the Guelph-Wellington Paramedic Service will be reimbursed following the successful completion of probation by the candidate.)
- Must provide current certification of Physical Ability Test (PAT) through Ottawa Paramedic Physical Ability Test or Physical Agility Evaluation (PAE) through Ability Works Consulting Inc or Physical Agility Assessment (PAA) from Cira Health Solutions prior to time of hire. For the purposes of our recruitment, the PAT/PAE/PAA is considered to be current within 6 months of hire date. Expense of this assessment is to be covered by the applicant. For more information or to book a time, please visit their websites at: http://specialprojects.wlu.ca/oppat/ or www.awci.ca or www.sibley.ca (Cost of processing the assessment for the Guelph-Wellington Paramedic Service will be reimbursed following the successful completion of probation by the candidate.)
- Paramedics who have obtained their training outside of Ontario can apply for equivalency with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. Information on the equivalency process can be obtained by visiting the MOHLTC, ((Ministry of Health and Long Term Care), web site.
- We actively seek candidates who possess skills and education that are over and above our minimum qualifications such as relevant volunteer and/or work experience within the healthcare services and relevant professional development courses/training.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a team environment are also very important.
$39.07 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday December 19, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend a mandatory technical test scheduled for the week of January 10, 2022–January 14, 2022. Further information will be sent to selected candidates through the email address provided at time of application
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.